Friday, November 23, 2012

Totally Out of Left Field...



The results are in:  Landon's blood was tested for over two dozen food allergies.  Milk protein and soy beans both checked out ok, so the peanuts were the only things that needed to be mentioned on Wednesday's voice mail.  I was on the phone with the pediatrician's office seven times today.  What I was told was that he still needs to continue on the Nutramagin AA that he was started on last Monday and that since my frozen supply is only separated by dairy and non-dairy with no mention at all of peanuts or peanut products, I will not be able to use any of the bags I have in the freezer.  Knife to the gut.  The mourning process for this will just have to take place later.  I believe it will consist of me walking outside, screaming at the top of my lungs for five straight minutes and then coming inside with the hopes that I won't have to be the one to remove the over three gallons of milk from the deep freezer.  And then I will need to move on, because that's where this is going.
 
I'm still reeling from the fact that Landon was diagnosed with a slight peanut allergy, even though the term SLIGHT is a bit more reassuring than it would be without that adjective.  Now, granted, he could quite likely outgrow this by the age of two... but we need to be very careful. And he won't be able to have any peanuts or peanut products for the first two years of life.  

What did I know about peanut allergies before I learned that my son has one?

                I knew:

  • The allergy is more common today than it was in years’ past.
  • Peanuts and peanut products are in many food items.
  • It is really scary and can potentially be life-threatening.


                I had heard:
    • Peanut allergies had to run in families.  – WRONG
    • Both staying away from peanuts AND eating peanuts while pregnant could lead to peanut allergies. – At least one of these HAS to be wrong... and later I learned that neither one of them are really true.
    • It would never happen to me or my kids. – WRONG 
Now where do we go from here?  Well, I will tell you what... it's a scary journey and I am not sure I know what I am doing.  I will continue to monitor him closely (of course) and further educate myself on this allergy.  That's all I can do for now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment