Last night, I shared with William the fact that a wonderful student and his family, Devon, needed our prayers. He only had a couple of questions about why he needed the prayers. We said his name after his usual prayers for Chuck E Cheese, the Giraffe Store, the Letter Store, and the Big Box Store.
Tonight, like every other night, I asked William for his prayer requests. And like every other night, he said, "Pray for Chuck E Cheese, the Giraffe Store, the Letter Store, and the Big Box Store." Then he added, "And pray for Simone's baby." (aka Baby Phillips, who will be Simone's baby brother or sister due to arrive any day!)
I asked him if he remembered about my student Devon from last night's prayers. He said he did and he remembered that, "Devon was sick, sick, sick."
When I said that was right, and that Devon and his Mommy, Daddy, younger sister, and younger brothers needed our prayers, he responded, "But don't worry mommy, he will get better. It just takes time. And you will have to be patient."
Oh to have that hope, faith, and naïveté again.
I kissed him on his forehead, sang him his lullaby (his choice was "The Santa Clause" one aka "Up On the Housetop", just slower), and recited, "Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite" like every other night. Then, lump in throat, I left his bedroom.
I suppose William was more right than I thought at first. After all, he reminded me to be patient and that eventually he will get better. Maybe Devon won't get better, but maybe the rest of us will. It won't be today or tomorrow, and it definitely won't be on Friday when his adolescent body is laid to rest, but it will be one day. And I will need to be patient until that day comes.
Thank you, William. Your three year old wisdom has renewed my hope.
Don't let the bedbugs bite.
I love so much praying with my littles. They have just started what I call "free form" prayers where they pray freely about their day and for their toys and such. Its really fabulous to watch your children cultivate a relationship with God. O to trust as they do....
ReplyDelete